December was not the greatest of months for me on reading, but was once again a positive movement from November. I set a goal for 1200 issues read this year, and fell very far behind. My goal was to hit 150 issues this month and I got to 86 issues read. The final month of the year, but with the Holidays I got less reading done then I would have liked.
Top Five Comics of the Month:
- Batman 84 and 85 – Written by Tom King, Art by
- Jorge Fornes, Hugo Petrus, and Mikel Janin, and Published by DC Comics. The end of kings run, and it was just as good as I wanted it to be. I’m sad to see it go, but it was a great run, and I’m looking forward to rereading it in 2020. If you haven;t already check out my review on the Deluxe Book One which covers the first 16 issues.
- Hawkeye Vol 2,3,4 – written by Matt Fraction art by David Aja (2 and 4) and Annie Wu (3) and Published by Marvel Comics. Last month I talked about the first volume of this book, and honestly this is a must read. I wrote a more in depth review on this book because to me it’s a 5/5 run. It’s fun, well written and great art. If you are a fan of super hero comics this is a must read.
- Batman: Death of the Family – Written by Scott Snyder, Art by Greg Capullo and Published by DC Comics. This was a great story of the Batman vs the Joker. A little more dark than some of the other stories, but a great read. As you might have seen in last months round, I have been reading the new 52 Batman, and loved this story. Its quick and fun. Capullo really sets in on this one too and the art seems to flow a lot better than the Court of Owls (and this is mainly nit picking as that book also had great art).
- Skulldigger and Skeleton Boy #1 – Written by Jeff Lemire, Art by Tonci Zonjic and Published by Dark Horse Comics. I’ve been a fan since day one of the Black Hammer books and have been picking up all that come out. This seems like it will be the first anti-hero type book of the Black Hammer Universe, which is nice to see. While one issue is pretty small to know if this will be good, I’m always excited to see more Black Hammer books come out.
- Doomsday Clock #12 – Written by Geoff Johns, Art by Gary Frank, and Published by DC Comics. A while back while I had another writer on this page he had done a review of the first issue. This has been a really good story with amazing art. I think with the timing of coming out as long as it was (maybe two years for 12 issues) I think this could have been better. While the ending wasn’t bad, it just seemed a bit lackluster for what I was hoping for.
I’m working on putting together my top reads of 2019 and along with new goals like rereading some of my favorite runs on books, and hoping to work with some indie creators on reviews. I have already put out a review of the first deluxe book from Tom King’s run of Batman. If you haven’t already please follow me on Facebook, and Twitter as I’ll always post extra things to those.